Identity Theft & Store Credit Card Fraud Protection Tips
WHAT ARE IDENTITY THEFT & STORE CREDIT CARD FRAUD?
Identity theft and store credit card fraud are serious crimes that can have a devastating impact on their victims.
Identity theft is the unauthorized use of your name and other personal information for criminal purposes. Store credit card fraud is the unauthorized use of your store credit card (or just your store credit card information) to make purchases either online or in person.
But if you're armed with some basic information, and you take a few simple steps to protect yourself, chances are won't fall prey to these growing problems.
Identity theft and store credit card fraud fast facts:
- These crimes are on the rise thanks to the Internet, social media and computer hackers
- Your credit score and future ability to make purchases on favorable credit terms can be affected
- Thieves do not need your actual store credit card to use it; they just need the information
- Don't throw out or give out personal financial information
- Monitor your store credit card activity and credit reports
- Be careful what you post on social media